Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Designing

So I'm trying my hand at designing a top. I am embarking on this because I went to a 'going out of business' sale at one of the LYS' and found this Silky Tweed by Elsebeth Lavold. I thought it was pretty so I bought ~650 yds for like $12 but had no idea what I was going to do with it. Other than sock yarn, I don't really gather a stash, I couldn't just let it sit around. I have recently knit several top down raglan sleeve cardigans, so that was out. It's summer and so a sweater isn't really on my mind anyway. Never mind that I don't have enough yarn for a full sweater anyhow. Then it dawned on me, a halter top! I LOVE halters and with the tweed yarn, I could make one that I could wear with a suit (if ever I have to don one again. . .) or just out with jeans, which is obviously more likely! I set out finding a cable I really like to knit up the center of the top. I decided on this one. Other than the cable, it will be pretty simple, ribbed hem, reverse stockinette body and (haven't decided) either a mock or full turtleneck rib neck. I think the neck will determine itself based on how much yarn I have. . . I will knit from the bottom up to make sure I cover the body then, if I run short, I'll make it with traditional halter straps.

So I knit up two swatches yesterday to see what size needle I'd use and be able to do the math for the pattern.
Here it is on Sz 7















Here it is on Sz 8
















I have to say I'm not in love with either one as much as I thought I'd be. I think it is because the tweed isn't showing as much as I anticipated, nor is the moss stitch in the center. The stitches are probably because it's only 22 rows and not a full diamond, but I ran out of patience after one repeat of the pattern. (this is why I do not typically do swatches!). I definitely don't think I want to go down to Sz 6, so I must stew on this and stare at them for a while to make a decision. If you have an opinion, leave me a comment!

No comments: