Monday, June 16, 2008

L is for Lily

Gardening is SOO not my thing! I've had a few potted plants in my day, they mostly live but don't exactly flourish. When I moved from Vermont, I gave my friend Allison all of my plants, including a Jade clipping from my godmother and a Hoya from my friend Kim's mother who had recently passed. Both plants were special to me, but I didn't know if they'd survive the move and Allison has the greenest thumb I know. Of course, the next time I visited BOTH plants had gotten HUGE and the Hoya flowered. I was jealous, but glad the plants had a happy home.

The woman we purchased our current house from loved to garden and had lots of stuff planted. Mostly pretty generic greenery in front, a ton of Azaleas, two small tiger lilies and a random tiny rose bush in the back. I didn't do anything to take care of the garden the first year we were here, because I didn't know what else was planted and, frankly, because I didn't really know what to do. I'm glad I didn't dig anything because I was surprised when day lilies started to come up! I hoped for pretty colors, and they are mostly yellow and orange, but one is simply stunning.
There is only one plant, but it is decently sized and I think I can dig it up and split it and maybe move it to the front of the house. So, for my (on time!) ABC Along entry, my L is for Lily :)

4 comments:

Zonda said...

Pretty Lily! :)

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Gorgeous!!

Anonymous said...

I haven't got a green thumb either, but you gave me such happy Hoya memories, we had one that grew over our wooden room divider and the flowers werebeautuflly waxy and they'd get just a drop of perfume on them!!

Mary said...

That's a beautiful lily! Stunning color.

Thanks for the comment on my L. (The lake is Long Lake.)