Thursday, June 19, 2008

A nice Surprise

OK, I've said it before, but I've not been a fan of any of the LYS nearby. One is unfriendly (at least to me), one is crazy, one has a nice variety within brands (like every yarn the brand makes) but only carries like 4 brands, and the other two were simply underwhelming. Locals, feel free to mix and match which shop you think goes with which description :) As such, I make most of my purchases online. Last night, Jen and I were going out to get fabric (yeah, remember that 'sewing' thing I supposedly do. .. ) and since we left were early enough to hit a yarn shop before the 5pm closing time, we made a detour to The Knitting Corner. We walked in and right away we both commented on the updated layout and the fact that there were a BUNCH of new yarns we hadn't seen before. (hello Noro sock!) I was totally impressed! It was much brighter and the shop seemed bigger, even though I think there was actually more in there. Of course, I'm not spending money on yarn until our (supposed to have been done by end of June - HA!) remodel is complete, but when I DO buy yarn again, I'll definitely be stopping there before automatically just buying online.

While I'm not buying more yarn, fabric is still fair game. I had two goals for Fabric Hut yesterday, finally buy something to make the sun dress for myself that I purchased the pattern for ages ago, and find some cute little girl fabric to make this ADORABLE thing. I plan to make two, one for Tricia's little girl (who was the recipient of Sheldon) and one for our friends in Vegas who just had their first. I decided the boredom with my current projects needs to be broken up with a quick finish project, which these definitely will be. Cute combos, no? Unfortunately, despite a GINORMOUS selection of fabrics, they had NO cotton blends to make my dress from. Of course they have thousands of patterned quilters cotton, but I don't think the drape will be what I want for a sun dress, so I'm back to square one for finding fabric. Maybe I'll finally have it sewn by the time it's too cold to wear it :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, so that pattern you linked is just too darn adorable and thankfully I have 2 girls in my house! :-) Thanks for sharing... also.. look at that lovely yarn and fabric! Beautiful colors...

how're the wedding plans coming along???

Laura said...

Hey there! I think I might have been at Knitting Corner at the same time as you yesterday (I was wearing a black T-shirt and I have curly brown hair). So funny! I also hadn't been there since they changed the layout/yarn offerings. I like it better now.

Romi said...

OMG, that's cute!

Yarn said...

wonderfull pattern
thanks

kemtee said...

I've been doing connect-the-dots, and just snorted when I finished my conclusions.

And yes, the changes at Knitting Corner are wonderful and welcome. I liked it before, but I like where Sue's going with it even better.

Cute prints!