Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Sad day to be a Woman

So, I generally try to avoid politics here, but I can't today. I am totally amazed that it's harder to be a woman than a black man in America. I know some people think the charges of sexism are overblown, but I don't think they are. I think the honest to goodness truth is that in the end, the powers that be are more comfortable with a penis, even if it's not the preferred color. No matter how deep we think race lines might be drawn, gender lines run deeper. Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Hillary either. I voted for McCain in the primary and I'll most likely vote for a 3rd party candidate in the election rather than either McCain or Obama. I'm now just interested to watch as the spectacle unfolds and the news (I use that term loosely, there is very little 'news' that isn't just for entertainment value anymore) finds and interviews the most stereotypical redneck who will say he won't vote for Obama because he's black, and also finds the most stereotypical gangster who has never voted in his life, but will go to the polls and vote for Obama because he's black. I have zero hope anything of significance actually being discussed about the race from now until the election. (Not that I had a heck of a lot of hope of that anyway, based on this whole Primary season.)

Sorry to you Obama fans, but he's not 'change' and 'new' and 'different'. . . if he was, I promise you the Democratic party would not have embraced him as their chosen one! The political process is a shrewd one, and it's naive to believe they're happy-go-lucky about some candidate who thinks the 'old' way of politics needs to go. . . that would certainly be setting up for planned obsolescence, and no one in their right mind does that!

*Sigh* I guess I'll just sit here and dream of a day with a Democratic process that really IS! Ross Perot, please come back! :) Give me a a viable 3rd or 4th or 5th party!

2 comments:

kemtee said...

Yup.

I've turned off all the local news because the "interviews" just confirm my belief that ignorance in this country is a bigger problem than gas prices.

Anonymous said...

I am very sad too, to see Hilary bowing out. You are so right. It is still a man's world, though we do have a female Deputy PM now!!!!