Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Should I or shouldn't I?

So here I sit, starting to swatch for Maude. I'm actually doing a real swatch, as I love this shirt and want it to fit when I'm done! The pattern is from the UK and so it calls for 3mm & 3.75mm needles in two lengths. The only thing I have is US 5 & US 6 i the right length. I'm swatching on my Sz 3 Addis. Measuring the way I normally swatch I'm at 8+ SPI vs the 9 required. I still need to knit another inch and bind off, though, so with more ribbing I think this will go down, which will push me up to a Sz 4, which I don't have. Now my dilemma. I am going to need to buy needles, regardless. SOOOOOOO, should I spend $19 + shipping to buy 3 sets of Bryspun needles (I really love these needles!) or should I bite the bullet and buy a set of options! I haven't actually used options, but everyone seems to like them. And, the whole "18 sets of needles" for $60 is quite compelling. With 4 cords, it also means I can start both Maude and Picovoli without buying 'more' needles. Normally, for $40 difference, it'd be a no brainer, but I have been spending money like no bodies business these days! I need to block Etsy, as I have bought over $100 worth of stuff in a week or so. I just bought Jake's leather notebook. I also bought my big piece of Art on Friday night, which wasn't cheap, either. Yes, I have tax return and work bonus money burning a hole in my pocket, and I'd rather not spend it all in 10 days! Yikes! What should I do?!?! Anyone totally love or totally hate their Options set that wants to weigh in with an opinion? I decided, at a minimum, I'm going to sleep on it and wait until Thursday when I get my PRGE pal, in case I need something from KnitPicks for them. Who am I kidding. . .. I'm gonna end up buying them. . . someone. . . talk me out of it!

I did finish Sheldon but I forgot to snap a picture before he got sent off to Michigan. Hopefully Tricia will send me a picture of Sheldon & Addi when he arrives. I believe he will quickly be renamed 'yaya' as Addi is apparently fond of only saying 'papa' and 'yaya' :) I finished my felted bag too, but I don't like the proportion so it's going in the donation pile. Jake wants to know why I've started something else (Maude) when his socks aren't done (sock #1 is fully finished, waiting to cast on #2) but I seriously need a break from that for a few days to psych myself up for another never ending sock!

11 comments:

JessicaRose said...

are you going to the meet saturday? Several of them have the options maybe you should bring some swatch yarn and take them for a test drive before you spend the money.

IrishGirlieKnits said...

No doubt. Buy the Options. Seriously. Now that I have them, I always go to them first.

If you're going back and forth about the price, spending (we've all been there), promise yourself the next purchase or two that you want to get you will resist. They are so worth it I think!

Anonymous said...

Don't you hate it when you don;t have the right needles OR you need to use a different size?? Pain in the neck. I don't have any Options, so I can't really say!!!

Romelda said...

I bought a set of Denise during the breast cancer awareness week and I love them. The ease of changing needle sizes, the different length cords that can even be combined for additional length, have made my recent knittings very pleasant.
go for it, they will be more important than more yarn. Romelda

Jen said...

if you think about it, you will be saving money in the long run. no, really. I'll bring my harmonies sat. if you'ld like but i seem to remember that you prefer metal needles. Let me know!!

Miss Me said...

just buy the needles... you won't regret it... they're great. i love mine! with interchangeable needles you'll never have to buy new needles again. although you might need more cords so you can start a different project...

Anonymous said...

Trust me. Buy the Options. I have been nickel & diming myself at KnitPicks buying tips and cords, when I should have just bought the set to begin with. I love the metal tips. The Harmonies, I don't really like so much. You won't regret buying the Options and if you do, I'll buy them from you! It's one of those things that has a cost that's hard to swallow, but that is worth it.

km said...

I have the Bamboo Sisters Set. It's so cute and little and easy to carry with you. My MIL bought it for me for Christmas. So, I didn't compare it to others before I bought it. I love it though. I usually have what I need...in sizes 5-10.

Knitted Gems said...

I bought my interchangable kit several years ago from Michaels. I then tracked down a kit for my MIL and hand sewed her a fabric pouch to carry it in.

I love my set. My MIL loves her set. In the past 5 years, I have only purchased one set of needles (size 1 because my kit doesn't go down that low in sizes). Before, I was buying needles every few months. I can't tell you how many size 6 needles I have because of it.

So, what I'm trying to say is that your kit will save you money in the long run. It's worth it. Go buy it.

Unknown said...

I have the Options set and would happily bring mine to the meet Sat if you wanted to give them a try. And the next time I see you on IM remind me to give you my cell # so you can give a call if you'd like.

~Hope

Anonymous said...

buy the options- they're a knitting investment... then, girl-- step away from the debit card;)