Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Wishes & a Meme

It's 1pm on Christmas Eve. I have 6 dozen sugar cookies to bake and decorate. I have a ham that needs baking. I have a few presents left to wrap and two knitted gifts that need to be finished. So what am I doing? Avoiding it all by blogging :) It's a reward, really. . . I've done a lot so far today! The sauerkraut is cooked (I'm polish, it's not Christmas without sauerkraut!). The potatoes are cut up an in a pot of water on the stove. Jake's surprise knitted hat is finished, wrapped and under the tree. The kitchen compost was taken to the pile. The cheesecake is baked and the cranberries are jelling (sorry, you can opener types. . . I make cranberries fresh).

I don't have any fun pictures to share yet (well I do have one, but my computer is broken and I'm waiting for DHL to deliver my replacement today so I'm using Jake's) but I did finish and ship the Imagiknit scarf and a hat for Jake. Rather than knits, I share this meme, taken from Becca.

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapping paper, for sure. I enjoy wrapping gifts and I love buying all the paper the day after Christmas at 50% off :) I am picky about how many boxes are wrapped with each paper to ensure even distribution of color and pattern under the tree (can you say control freak??).

2. Real or artificial tree? Real. Definitely real, though the convenience of an artificial (no stringing lights!) may win out one of these days!

3. When do you put up the tree? No specific time, I try to have it up in early December, but not so early that I think it will die by Christmas!

4. When do you take the tree down? Normally we keep up the tree until Three Kings, though last year it came down sooner because the poor tree had past it's usefulness and there were more needles on the ground than the tree.

5. Do you like eggnog? I don't like to drink eggnog, but I have a fantastic eggnog creme brulee!

6. Favorite gift received as a child? Hmm, does it have to be as a child? I don't have a strong recollection of an awesome childhood gift. I did get a TV for my room when I was 12 or 13. But 2 years ago my mom gave me the 'Rockette Experience'. It was seriously one of the few gifts that almost made me cry. I always wanted to be a Rockette, but genetics prevented it (I am 5'1", minimum height is 5'7"). Going to Radio City and learning a routine was totally awesome!

7. Do you have a nativity scene? No. I did when I lived in Vermont, but it didn't make the move. We couldn't put it up if we did, anyway, because the dogs would never leave it alone.

8. Hardest person to buy for? Jake. He's ridiculously picky but gives you NO ideas to go on!

9. Worst Christmas present ever received? Not necessarily worst, but most thoughtless was when my step-mom bought me a panini press from my dad. I had given my dad the Williams-Sonoma link to the one I wanted, so this should have been easy, but she gave me a cheaper one instead. And not like $50 cheaper. . . $10 cheaper. . . really?!?!

10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail. . . . email totally doesn't count!

11. Favorite Christmas movie? It's a Wonderful Life. I cry every time the whole town starts coming into the living room.

12. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Sometime in December, but if I see something in the middle of July, I'll get it and store it away (and I only forget those like 30% of the time!)

13. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? No. I don't feel bad returning gifts :)

14. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Christmas sugar cookies.

15. Clear lights or colored on the tree? Colored. I'm not into the fancy all one light/all one color ornament trees. I like a hodgepodge :)

16. Favorite Christmas song? O Come All Ye Faithful (the Latin version of it though!) Preferably sung by Bing Crosby.

17. Travel or stay home? Stay home, though this year that means no immediate family, which is kind of weird.

18. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? You know Dasher and Dancer and Prancer and Vixen. Comet and Cupid and Donner and Blitzen. . . but do you recall. . . the most famous reindeer of all? Why yes, I do. . , it's Rudolph, thank you Bing Crosby :) (I have a freakish obsession with all Christmas songs and own a good 20 CDs of Christmas compilations. . . how could I not know all the reindeer?)

19. Star on the top of the tree? Yes, I prefer a lit one, but last year we bought a cool wood & metal one that resides atop the tree now.

20. Open presents on Eve or Morning? One present on Christmas Eve, everything else has to wait until Christmas morning, after Breakfast.

21. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? The internal debate of which friends make the gift cut-off. And the awkwardness of getting a gift from someone you did not get one for!

22. Best thing about this time of the year? Driving around at night and seeing all the Christmas trees lit up in windows. I like seeing outdoor decorations, too, but just seeing the lights on a tree makes me happy!

I hope everyone has a safe and very merry Christmas!!

2 comments:

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Merry Christmas Carly! Hope you have a wonderful day!

Knitted Gems said...

I made my cranberries sauce from fresh berries too. I made a double batch - certain that everybody would fawn over it, but I am left with almost all of it. Oh well, more for me.

Hope you were able to get all your cookies rolled out and decorated.

Merry Christmas!