Monday, September 3, 2007

I've still got it!

Though never loving road trips, I used to be able to knock out the 14 hours from Detroit to Minneapolis or the 11 hours from Burlington to Detroit pretty easily. Then we got Zosia, and my first trip with a dog in tow was trickier. But, on the plus side, Jake started coming with me more so we had two people to share the driving. I'd say it's been close to 3 years since I had to do a long drive on my own, I was not looking forward to it. Yesterday was such an awesome driving day, though! I woke up early to get on the road at 5am and I pulled into mom's driveway at 3:20pm. Not bad for 680miles and 2 dogs, if I do say so myself. There was no traffic, except for a small stretch in Ohio, so it was a warm, sunny beautiful day to be on the road.

I was too tired of being in the car to go visit any friends yesterday, so I stayed at mom's and knitted. I had to frog the scarf I started before I left. There was a minor altercation between Zosia and Sadie (Sadie is my very old dog at home. . . she's like 12 and not much for playing anymore) which made me drop my knitting and subsequently drop a stitch. Not paying attention, I thought I had one EXTRA, not one LESS stitch, so I decreased and knit a few rows before I realized something was wrong and the stitch pattern was too difficult to frog and save because of all the all the double stitches. Good thing I only had 4 inches done! I also cast on and knit about 2 inches on the spiral rib socks I chose for my Delilah yarn. I chose this pattern by virtue of the fact that I only had size 2 needles with me and I couldn't match the gauge of the other pattern I liked.

And, if you're interested, I'm knitting my scarf for the Red Scarf Project. You may be familiar with it from this blog, but if not, check it out. You have until October 15 for them to receive your scarf if you want to participate. I personally think it's a pretty great thing. I can't imagine how tough it would have been to grow up in the foster system and still have the motivation and strength to go on to college without a family to help me get thru it.

Anyhow, I'm off to visit with the bride to be today. Mom's internet isn't too deathly slow, so I'll probably still be poking around this week! But as a teaser. . . since I hinted at a contest if Laura didn't like her bag, even though she appears to, I'm going to have a fun little contest anyway for a prize almost as good as the bag. I'll post the rules next Monday when I'm back in Virginia!

Have a great Labor Day!

2 comments:

Cheryl in AZ said...

Glad to hear you made the trip safely (both of you).
Have fun with Mom and the Bride and everyone.
As for the dogs, your older dog will definitely let Zosia know who is boss and she will get the picture.
See you soon

janingalein said...

hi! got your note on my blog, thought this would be a good way to comment back - i'm from the northern and western burbs.. clarkston/auburn hills, and then out towards ann arbor, i lived a little in huntington woods (near royal oak) and in southfield.

i have spent a lot of time downtown in the D, and in corktown and hamtramck, but that's usually evenings and weekends.

as i read this post i noted the detroit references and looked for a ref to your burb. i've been to wyandotte once, they have a pretty waterfront.

it's nice that we get to meet over the wonder of the internets!

happy wednesday!!