Thursday, September 27, 2007

My Green Obsession

So before I went to bed last night, I was reading Carrie's blog and commented, again, about my current love of all things green. As I was trying to fall asleep (difficult, since Jake has taken to reading before bed now, with the overhead light on) I got to pondering my apparent hoarding of all things green (well, green yarn, at least!). I contemplated calling my friend Karen. . . she's wiccan and she has told me in the past that anything you find yourself surrounded by has some sort of significance. .. the universe trying to tell you something. She had always told me this about animals, though, and I wondered if the same was true for colors. It was too late to call her, but then I had this lovely little thought that had me fall asleep smiling and wake up still in a good mood. I realized I'd been thinking about my grandpa a lot recently. He passed away 17 years ago and I don't remember a lot of specifics about him, but his favorite color was green. I've decided this green obsession is a crafty, subconscious connection to him. And with that, I'm re-inspired to pick up my Delilah socks. Well, the yarn, at least. I'm frogging the spiral rib and picking something new. I'm also renaming them my 'Jezney Crickets' socks. . . . my grandpa never cursed (in English, at least! He and my grandma reserved their 'not for kids ears' talk to Polish) and that was his catch all saying.

Sorry for the sort of sappy post, hope you have a great Thursday!

ps - I promise, once the sun comes up and I can get some pictures, I'll post about last weekend and my current WIP!

3 comments:

meg(aphone) said...

I think I've been channeling your dear Grandpa for just over two years now. My account at the LYS has "No more green yarn" next to my name!!

The answer to the ever important sock question is...you should never have to worry about stinky sock because you should have knit enough pairs to solve said smelly problem.

Anonymous said...

Isn't that funny - my grandpa's favorite color was green, too! Now that you mentioned that little thing, it brought back an army of memories of him (he passed away 14 years ago on my b-day which is why I still find it hard to celebrate). And I remember only a few things about him, but I especially remember him drinking tea from an old mug with orange flowers - and his love of green. He was a truck driver and even insisted on having green stripes on his truck. :) Funny how the mind works..

I hope your trip to Kansas will be great!

- Your Secret Pal

IrishGirlieKnits said...

I love this post :) Especially since I seem to have TONS of blue yarn ....so we need to figure out what that's all about (other than the fact that its my favorite color).

Your yarn color obsession even has its own slogan... Go green. (hehehe)